Ristorante Piccolo Review

Nestled into a back corner of Georgetown, Ristorante Piccolo is quaint and unassuming. From the outside, the cream colored building that houses Piccolo looks cute but unimpressive. It's looks are very deceiving.

This photo is not mine. It is from Ristorante Piccolo's website and you can find it at http://www.piccolodc.com/index.php?page=gallery

I first discovered Piccolo because a friend of mine was a hostess there a few years ago and they gave her dinner to bring home after her shift. One night I tried some of the pasta she brought home and I was immediately hooked. It quickly became the "family spot"whenever my family visited, mostly because my younger sister's all-time favorite food is spaghetti bolognese--she went on a trip to Italy two summers ago and ordered it every single night. Every. Single. Night.

One of the best things about Piccolo is the quality of their product, especially their pasta, bread, and olive oil. After drinks are ordered, each table receives a basket of fresh bread and olive oil with parmesan cheese and garlic mixed into the oil. It is the best olive oil I've ever had, and I spent a summer in Florence, so I know good olive oil when I taste it.

For entrees, the star of Piccolo's menu is their pastas. My absolute favorite pasta dish is lobster ravioli, and Piccolo does an incredible job, preparing succulent pieces of lobster in a velvety sauce. My only complaint about this dish is that there are only about five ravioli per order, and I think that an entree should include double that. If you're getting the ravioli, eat a few slices or bread before hand or order an appetizer (they've got a great fennel salad and delicious fried calamari).


This photo is not mine. It is from Ristorante Piccolo's website and you can find it at http://www.piccolodc.com/index.php?page=cuisine

If you're a carnivore, you've got to get their namesake dish "Pici Alla Piccolo," (pictured above) which is their version of spaghetti bolognese. The meat sauce is made out of ground veal and pork, accompanied by a delicious tomato ragu. 

Their non-pasta dishes are good as well, but I would strongly encourage you to order a pasta dish. Don't mess with perfection. But do save a little room for dessert, which comes around on a mouth-watering dessert tray. They do the Italian classics, like tiramisu and cannolis, justice.

Piccolo is mid-range for a great Italian restaurant and the service has never been anything short of impeccable. I've been there roughly seven times, and I'm due for my bi-monthly visit any day now.


Visit Ristorante Piccolo at 1068 31st St, NW
Washington, DC 20007
Ristorante Piccolo on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment