Chelsea Market in New York

This past weekend I went on a trip to New York City for a friends birthday, and one of the most exciting things about the whole trip were my visits (yes, plural) to Chelsea Market. Chelsea Market is a huge indoor food market in the Chelsea borough of Manhattan, filled with specialty food stores, restaurants, clothing stores, and television studios (Iron Chef is filmed in one of their studio spaces).


Chelsea Market is a deceptively huge space, packed with over 40 food shops and stores. As you can tell from the picture above, it is an extremely popular foodie destination and was packed both Saturday and Sunday.

The first time I visited Chelsea Market I stopped at Num Pang, an Asian inspired specialty sandwich shop that serves sandwiches on toasted semolina baguettes. I chose their chicken salad sandwich. This wasn't your average chicken salad sandwich, filled with a mushy shredded chicken and mayo mixture--this was a sophisticated and elegant chicken salad, made with whole chunks of chicken, whole cashews, jalapenos, Thai basil, pickled radish, and chile mayo spread on both pieces of bread.


The mayo and jalapeno combination resulted in a very spicy sandwich, but the herbs helped to balance out the flavors. The star of this sandwich was the toasted semolina baguette, which was buttery, crunchy, and perfectly chewy. I wish I could've bought loaves of this bread to take home with me.

The next day I came back to Chelsea Market to look around a little more and get a small snack after brunch. The previous day I spotted a small little popsicle stand called People's Pops, and I knew this would be the perfect afternoon snack.


People's Pops is a specialty popsicle stand that uses fresh local ingredients to create delicious, fruit-centric, frozen treats. I walked up to the counter and asked what their best flavor was, and the woman immediately advised me to go with the Ginger Peach Rhubarb pop.


The pop was fantastic. The ginger and rhubarb flavors were definitely the star of the show, but there were chunks of peach inside the pop that gave the pop a subtle peach-y flavor. I'm a staunch advocate for ice cream over popsicles, but this pop may have me changing my ways. I'm not there yet, but maybe after a few more People's Pops I will be.


Visit Chelsea Market at
75 9th Ave  New York, NY 10011

No comments:

Post a Comment