Rubirosa

I've heard so many good things about Rubirosa, from gluten-free and gluten-eating friends alike. It's always crowded so I've been hesitant to commit to heading down there and waiting an unknown amount of time.

But last night I braved the bitter cold and headed down to Nolita to try their pizza for myself. And the freezing walk from the 6 train was most DEFINITELY worth it. Plus I only waited 10 minutes for a table for two--which isn't bad at all for that area on a Thursday night.

First off, they've got a comprehensive gluten free menu. They can make everything from mozzarella sticks to arancini (risotto balls) gluten free, in addition to their famed gluten free pizza. 

My initial reaction to Rubirosa was that I loved the atmosphere of the place--it had just the right amount of elegance mixed with a dash of Nolita hipster. The staff was gracious and friendly, and got us seated surprisingly fast considering how crowded the restaurant was.

I started with the gluten free risotto balls and my dining partner got a half portion of rigatoni with bolognese (not gfree). He started eating, and immediately exclaimed "this is THE best pasta I have ever had." He is a pasta fiend, so this is quite the compliment. While I considered gluten free risotto balls to be an impressive feat, I wasn't blow away. The cheese wasn't totally melted on the inside, and they needed to be heated up a bit more. The marinara sauce they came with was the best part.

Now, on to the pizza. Oh my gosh was it good. I got the gluten free vodka pizza with pepperoni (because I refuse to eat a pizza without pepperoni). The vodka sauce was perfectly rich and well-seasoned. The mozzarella was some of the best I've ever had--I loved it and I'm not a huge cheese girl. 

The crust was nutty and pillowy, with a slight crunch. I am a big fan of Keste and Don Antonio's gluten free pizza, but this really gave those a run for its money. Mostly because the crust had more flavor and the vodka sauce was heavenly. It was a slightly thicker version of the standard pasta sauce, and cut the nuttiness of the crust while pairing perfectly with the creaminess of the cheese. 


The non-gluten free option (same pizza but without the pepperoni) had a thinner crust with more crunch. I prefer a more pillowy crust though, so I was happy with the texture of the gfree crust. 

^^ the gluten-rich option

Rubirosa is also infinitely cheaper that many of the other restaurants in its league. Especially considering its location and the volume of customers it has crowding the restaurant.

I'll be making this my first "regular" spot in NYC, and am going to try to visit monthly to try all of their gluten free  options. But regardless of your dietary restrictions, they've got something for everyone.

Run. Don't walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment