The Black Ant

I'd heard a good amount about this place, primarily because it's named after an insect. I'm pretty adventurous, so the occasional ant doesn't deter me. 

The menu, at first glance, is admittedly intimidating. It seems like they're trying to attract a very specific "foodie" audience, and alienate the unadventurous. For example, their guac had ant salt on it...

The ant salt guac was delicious, but I know many people who would've passed on The Black Ant based on that one dish. Guacamole is the simplest, purest Mexican dish, so when you mess with it you're bound to deter a select group.

At The Black Ant, they were a little more mainstream with their drink selections. They had the standard margarita flavors and a few flavored options. Their special that day was Rosemary Watermelon. I like both of those things, so I tried it.


I liked the sprig of Rosemary as a garnish, but the flavors were far too muddled in the drink itself. I couldn't distinguish either flavor--it just tasted a little bit off. The prickly pear margarita, on the other hand, was a home run. It was perfectly tangy and sweet. Two thumbs up for the prickly pear.

For my main course, I decided on the goat tacos, which had been marinated in an avocado cream for tenderness. I couldn't detect much avocado, but I don't think that's the point. The goat was tender, which is usually the challenge when preparing gamier meats (like goat). 


The dim lighting inside the restaurant doesn't make for the most appetizing pictures, but these tacos were delicious. There was a spicy mole sauce drizzled over the goat as well as a few picked onions. My only negative comment is that the dish was very goat-heavy, and could have used a lighter element (like avocado or a spiced crema). The tacos also only cost $12, and since we had chips and guacamole, this was plenty for one persons main course.

Overall, the service & ambiance was perfect. I love the cozy feel of the East Village, so I think I'm slightly biased to restaurants in that area. I'd definitely go back. Also, do not be worried about the insect ingredients. They only play a starring role in one or two dishes, so if you're not into that, just avoid those few dishes. The guac is safe though. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment