OatMeals

Oatmeal is one of my all-time favorite foods. I have it every morning for breakfast, and I have a very specific way of preparing it. Most people who have ever lived with me understand my oatmeal obsession, so naturally my roommate and I had to visit OatMeals when we heard about it.

It is a cafe and bakery entirely dedicated to oatmeal. It was my own personal version of heaven. I can't even explain how happy I was when I walked into the cafe.

I ended up going around brunch time, so I decided to get something sweet and savory. I ALWAYS eat my oatmeal with crunchy peanut butter, so I felt like I needed to get something with peanut butter on it.

After some careful deliberation, I went for the Elvis--steel cut oats with banana, peanut butter (creamy, but I got over it), honey, bacon, and sea salt. 


At first I was pretty confused by the salty/sweet combo, but after a few bites I was hooked. The bacon was salty and added a great crunch to the oats that made up for the fact that the peanut butter was creamy and not crunchy (I'm very anti-creamy peanut butter if you couldn't tell). The sea salt added a touch of decadence to the oatmeal and made me feel like I was indulging in some luxurious truffle or dessert. 

My roommate went with a more savory bowl, filled with manchengo, figs, honey, and walnuts. She also got a cinnamon scone because they looked incredible.



I am not a huge manchengo fan, so this wouldn't ever be something I would order, but it was perfect for an adventurous cheese lover. My one note about this oatmeal is that it could have used a touch of sea salt to help balance out the sweetness of the figs and honey--the manchengo itself wasn't enough to offset their sugar content.

The scone earned rave reviews from my roommate, and she finished the scone but couldn't polish off the whole cheesy oatmeal. 

The prices at OatMeals were surprisingly reasonable, and I was happy that my oatmeal only cost $5.50 for a medium. I will definitely become a regular here and I will be back to tackle some other oatmeal combos.

OatMeals on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment