Momofuku's Steamed Pork Buns

It's momofuku's 10th anniversary, and I have been seeing pictures of their steamed pork bun EVERYWHERE. I've been to milk bar several times, but have yet to eat anything savory from David Chang's empire.

I don't like waiting for tables at restaurants (ironic, since I live in Manhattan), so I went to momofuku ssam and sat at the bar. I went alone, because I wanted to cherish the experience solo. It took about 4 minutes for them to come out of the kitchen, which the impatient toddler in me loved. And they were beautiful (I added sriracha to one of the buns before I took the picture).


The bun's texture was pillowy and soft, which perfectly balanced the fattiness of the pork belly and the heat from the hoisin sauce (and added sriracha). The pickled cucumbers also played a crucial role with their addition of slight acidity to each bite.

I loved how generous the serving of pork belly was in each bun. Oftentimes, I feel that restaurants skimp out on portions of meat when they're inside another vessel, but this bun was overflowing with pork--in the best way. My only complaint is that I wish the pork belly was a little crispier. The flavor of the pork was delicious, don't get me wrong, I just wish the fat was slightly more golden on the sides.

My verdict on the pork buns: delicious, well-balanced, tons of meat. Add some sriracha to your pork bun for an extra kick if you can handle spice. If you can't, just stick with the hoisin sauce, which is already slathered on the buns. If the pork belly were a touch more golden, it would have been a 10/10. Having said that, I still give it a 9. Definitely worth the hype. Momofuku Ssäm Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment