Betony

As one of New York's newest Michelin star inductees, Betony has been on the top of my "must visit" list for a long time.

 

I expected Betony to be either on the Upper West or Lower East side, but it was oddly situated on W 57th, right below Central Park. Despite the awkward location (which neighbored a Fresh & Co. and some low-end clothing stores), the ambiance of the restaurant was sophisticated and luxurious. The first thing I noticed about Betony was the impeccable service--the staff was the most attentive and conscientious restaurant staff I have ever encountered. For me, service is one of the most crucial, yet often overlooked, parts of a dining experience. The quality of service made my time at Betony infinitely more enjoyable than it would have been if the staff had done a mediocre job.

My first impression of the menu at Betony was that it appeared condensed and refined. I started my meal with foie gras bonbons, which were insanely rich and coated in toasted cashews. The portion was technically a "sharing portion," which made more sense once I tasted how rich the bonbons were (I could only eat two out of four). 

However, the main dish I ordered, grilled short rib, was disappointing. The short ribs were fatty and could have been seasoned better. I enjoyed the accoutrements more than the actual short ribs. I expect a Michelin star restaurant to expertly prepare their meats, and this dish just wasn't up to par.

Dessert was the highlight of the meal for me, as they were very very accommodating to my food allergies (gluten), and had a wide variety of options to choose from. I chose a delicious espresso-flavored cake with milk foam, and also ordered petite fours for the table. One of these small bites was a cinnamon-rice macaron, and it was one of the best macarons I have ever had (I used to work at a macaron shop, so that is saying something).

Despite the misstep with the entree, Betony won me over with their desserts and allergy-friendly kitchen--they even made me fresh gluten-free rolls before the meal. The staff was incredible, as was the ambiance. While I don't think the food was up to the level of some other NY Michelin star winners, it was quite good.

Betony on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment