Sol Mexican Grill Food Truck

Sol Mexican Grill

Today I tried a new food truck for lunch--Sol Mexican Grill. There was a decent line outside the truck, so I knew it had to be good (that's my secret to discerning the good food trucks from the bad...the longer the line, the better). I went into my Sol experience with the knowledge that DC is littered with taco and Mexican food trucks, so Sol may not be anything special. I was wrong.



Sol serves burritos, tacos, and rice bowls with your choice of chicken, steak, pork, or veggies (you get free guacamole with the veggie option). The toppings available include lettuce, pico de gallo, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, onion, mild green sauce, and spicy red sauce. I opted for a chicken rice bowl with lettuce, pico, corn, and mild green sauce--I don't mind spice but I didn't want the meat to be overwhelmed by a mouth-scorching red sauce. Normally, the portions that food trucks serve anger me because of their petite size, but the portion size of my bowl was pretty good (not great, but good).



Overall, the bowl was VERY delicious. My favorite part was the mild green sauce that adorned the meat, rice and veggies. The sauce was a tomatillo, cilantro, and avocado based sauce with the consistency of a runny guacamole. It was OUT of control delicious. Honestly, I would eat anything if that sauce was on top. Thankfully, though, the meat and rice underneath were great, so the sauce only bolstered the already tender chicken and expertly prepared rice.

My only complaint about my bowl was the lettuce, which was limp and scarce. For me, a burrito "bowl" is a cross between a burrito and a salad, and as such, the bowl should be accompanied by a good amount of quality lettuce. Mine, sadly, was not. But I can instantly forgive that small mis-step when I think about how good that green sauce was.

I would (and will) return to Sol Mexican Grill. The portions and price were right ($7 for a good sized entree portion), and the food was "on point" in the words of Food Network's Guy Fieri. Next time I plan on trying their steak or pork in that exact same burrito bowl format, with EXTRA green sauce.

1 comment:

  1. rav4 trd accessories Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info.

    ReplyDelete