Overnight Oats Recipe

Oatmeal, and oats in general, are my favorite snack food. At any given time throughout the year, you can walk into my room and there's a good chance I will be sitting on my bed eating oatmeal and peanut butter while I watch the Food Network on my laptop. It's my thing.

Some of my most recent endeavours with oats and oatmeal have involved overnight oats for breakfast (oats soaked in milk overnight in the fridge). When I prepare my oats, I do things a little differently from the average person because I do not like regular milk, so I use chocolate almond milk instead. It makes the whole meal feel more decadent. I know that sounds a little suspect, but trust me, you will love it.

My Over-night Oats Recipe

1/2 cup rolled oats (I LOVE Trader Joe's Gluten Free Rolled Oats)
1/2 cup of chocolate almond milk (I use Almond Breeze)
1/2 cup of blueberries or 1 sliced banana
1 tsp of cinnamon

To prepare/store the oats, I use a mason jar. You can use anything you want as long as it will hold all of the oats and it's convenient to eat out of (I put mine in the jar because I like bringing them to work and eating them at my desk).

First, I pour in the oats and add the almond milk on top of them. Almond milk is only one of the many, many options you can use in this recipe--other possibilities include whole milk, soy milk, hemp milk, skim milk...you get the picture.

Then I add the teaspoon of cinnamon, mixing all of the content in the jar together with a spoon. It's important that all of the oats are coated with the milk and cinnamon mixture, because it allows the oats to all soak evenly.

Finally, I add my blueberries or diced banana on top of the oats, and place it in the fridge for the night. I try and make my oats before 9 pm to give them enough time to soak up all of the almond milk and cinnamon goodness.

Wake up the next morning, open your fridge, and this is what you'll see



No comments:

Post a Comment