Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cake

Ok, so I didn't plan on writing a post about the dessert I made last night, but it's just too good. I HAVE to share this with the world.

I was introduced to a vegan chocolate cake recipe by one of my friends tonight. She's vegan, and has recently shown me some incredible vegan dishes. We decided to tweak the recipe she found to make it gluten free (I recently found out I'm gluten and soy intolerant--but don't worry, I still plan on eating out and cooking all the time), with a gluten free flour from Trader Joe's, a combination of rice flour and tapioca flour. 

The original recipe template that we used came from Alicia K at http://www.instructables.com/id/The-BEST-chococlate-cake-ever...that-happens-to-be/#step1, and she's also got a blog at http://aliciakachmar.com/blog.

In order to work within my dietary restrictions, I substituted the soy milk for chocolate almond milk and used the gluten free flour in place of the regular flour. The recipe involves a cake as well as a chocolate glaze (which is where I substituted the soy milk for the almond milk), and the glaze tastes incredible when you drizzle it over the cake hot out of the oven.

We followed the rest of the recipe as written, with the exception of sunflower seed oil instead of vegetable oil, and apple cider vinegar instead of distilled white vinegar. Also, the recipe says bake for 30 minutes and let cool for 2 hours, but I prefer a molten center (and I just really wanted to eat the cake) so I did not wait that long for it to cool. We baked the cake for about 15-20 minutes, and it came out perfectly moist and gooey.



The best part of all of this is that it's not awful for you and if you've got food intolerance, you can FINALLY eat a dessert again. Also, chocolate cake is my #1 favorite food of all time, and this is one of the top 5 chocolate cakes I've ever had. So just let that simmer, and head on over to the grocery store and buy the ingredients to prepare this little slice of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment